Jamhuri Day celebrations in Meru County were thrown into limbo after supporters of area Governor Peter Munya and Senator Kiraitu Murungi clashed.
The warring groups are said to have descended on each other with kicks and blows bringing the event to a standstill as they hurled seats at each other.
Governor Munya is affiliated to the Party of National Unity (PNU) while Senator Kiraitu is from the Jubilee Party and is seeking to unseat the incumbent Meru Governor in the next elections.
Meanwhile, in Nairobi police used teargas canisters to disperse a group of protesters dubbed #TakeBackKenya that had gathered along Moi Avenue.
The protest was meant to denounce corruption, bad governance and other vices in the country and call on Kenyans to be firm.
Anti-riot police, however, arrived and lobbed teargas canisters before arresting three demonstrators.
Nairobi police boss Japheth Koome said the group had not been permitted to protest although there is freedom of movement and expression enshrined in the constitution.
Here are photos of the chaos in Meru County.corruption arrest
- SUDDEN Death26 September 2022 - 11:29 pm
- Tragic26 September 2022 - 7:00 pm
- Clearing the air26 September 2022 - 6:32 pm
- Closure26 September 2022 - 5:03 pm
- Final Verdict26 September 2022 - 3:53 pm
- Solutions26 September 2022 - 3:48 pm
- New venture26 September 2022 - 6:03 pm
- Take Note26 September 2022 - 3:00 pm
- Insecurity26 September 2022 - 2:49 pm
- Inspiring26 September 2022 - 2:32 pm
- chaos26 September 2022 - 12:13 pm
- New Responsibility26 September 2022 - 12:17 pm