The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) on Tuesday marked the World Press Freedom Day which was crowned by a gala night, in which journalists were awarded for various achievements within the industry.
During the Fifth Annual Journalism Excellence Awards (AJEA) gala, the media regulator unveiled winners who excelled in 12 categories.
The first category was the Journalist of the year award which went to Daily Nation's John Kamau followed by Environment Reporting for TV award which was won by KTN''s Alex Chamwada.
The Sports reporting award for TV category was awarded to NTV journalists Edmond Nyabola and Stephen Mwei, with the same award for print media being won by Isaac Omulo of the Standard.
Duncan Khaemba (KTN) and Edwin Mwai of K24 were also feted in the category of Business Reporting for TV .
The event is held every year on May 3, with the awards aiming at improving the calibre and professionalism of journalism in the country.
Here is the full list of 2016 AJEA Awards winners:
Journalist of the year - John Kamau (Daily Nation)
Lifetime Contribution in Journalism - Salim Lone and Dorothy Kweyu (Daily Nation)
Photographer of the year - Cheboit Kigen (Daily Nation)
Cameraperson of the year - Eugene Osidiana (K24)
Cartoonist of the year - Erick Ngammau (The Standard)
Good Governance Reporting
TV - Zubeida Koome and Moses Baya (KTN)
Radio - Solomon Zully (Radio Salaam)
TV - Duncan Khaemba and Edwin Mwai (K24)
Radio - Joseph Jira (Baraka FM)
Print - John Kamau (Daily Nation)
TV - Marie Yambo and Anthony Muhatia (KBC)
Radio - Brian Osweta (Baraka FM)
Print - William Inganga (The Star)
TV - Edmond Nyabola and Stephen Mwei (NTV)
Print - Isaac Omulo Okoth (The Standard)
TV - Alex Chamwada (Chams media/ KTN)
Radio - Ali Maingu (Radio Salaam)
TV - Mercy Juma and Adram Mulama (NTV)
Radio - Ruth Keah (Radio Rahma)
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm
- Imagepeacemakers24 February 2020 - 12:30 pm
- Imageno holds barred24 February 2020 - 11:32 am
- ImageAlert!24 February 2020 - 2:41 pm