Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers on Sunday killed 15 suspected Al-Shabaab militants and injured several others in the ongoing offensive operation in Somalia.
The Kenyan soldiers are said to have descended on an operation base used by the militants across River Jubba in Yantooy, Somalia, using fighter jets.
The Al-Shabaab fighters were attempting to cross the Jubba River when they were ambushed and killed by KDF forces in the morning hours.
According to KDF spokesman Col David Obonyo, the KDF troops who were in an operation to capture Jilib town in Somalia, struck and killed 15 militants before destroying two boats used by the terrorists.
The KDF spokesman noted that Jilib was the only remaining Al-Shabaab headquarters in lower Shabelle.
KDF troops have been in Somalia since 2011 when they made an incursion into the war-ton country following a series of attacks in Kenya.
They since joined the Africa Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom) where they have captured several towns that were under the terror group.
Read Also: Photos: Here are the 5 Most Wanted Kenyans
- Power play4 August 2020 - 8:23 am
- costly mistake4 August 2020 - 7:51 am
- what happened4 August 2020 - 7:31 am
- Crackdown4 August 2020 - 7:03 am
- Covid-19 effects3 August 2020 - 7:57 pm
- R.I.P3 August 2020 - 7:34 pm
- Insider3 August 2020 - 7:03 pm
- Chaos3 August 2020 - 5:27 pm
- Amazing3 August 2020 - 4:52 pm
- Shattering Ceilings3 August 2020 - 4:13 pm
- Condition3 August 2020 - 2:51 pm
- Alert3 August 2020 - 2:38 pm