A female student at Kenyatta University was on Monday arraigned in court after being arrested by the Anti Terror Police Unit for joining the Islamic State (ISIS), which is a terror group operating in Iraq and Syria.
Gloria Kavaya Ikra, a microbiology student, allegedly converted to Islam after her family neglected her and was promised a scholarship at the International University of Africa in Sudan by an unknown agency linked to the terror group.
She was then taken in by a Somali family in South B where she relocated without the knowledge of her family.
It was during her stay there that she was reportedly radicalized and even disappeared from school in February this year, before the Anti Terror detectives apprehended her last week.
Presiding over the case, Principal Magistrate Martha Mutuku ordered she remains in police custody until a bond of Sh500,000 and a surety of the same amount was paid.
Kavaya is also expected to report to the Anti Terror Police Unit daily as investigations continue.
At the same time, a woman believed to be the wife of ISIS group leader in East Africa Mohammed Abdi Ali, who is connected to the planning of an anthrax attack in Kenya, also appeared before the same court but was not charged as police sought 30 days to complete investigations.
Nuseiba Mohammed Haji, who is a student at Kampala International University, was arrested in Uganda while attempting to evade authorities.
Ali on the other hand was a medical intern at Wote Hospital in Makueni before police arrested him following intelligence of the attack that would have been similar to the Westgate onslaught.arrest
- New directive16 September 2021 - 7:48 pm
- Freedom16 September 2021 - 8:01 pm
- Scammed16 September 2021 - 7:38 pm
- Fury16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Clapback16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- OPPORTUNITY16 September 2021 - 6:26 pm
- Central Role16 September 2021 - 6:25 pm
- unfortunate16 September 2021 - 5:41 pm
- Kind-Hearted16 September 2021 - 5:27 pm
- Remarkable16 September 2021 - 5:51 pm
- Disrupted16 September 2021 - 4:38 pm
- long arm of law16 September 2021 - 4:45 pm