The death of 22-year-old Mugendi Nthua was met with mixed reactions with some residents saying that he was a good man and could not take part in the mentioned deeds as accounted by one of his neighbours.
However, angry residents took matters into their own hands, after it was alleged that Mugendi was responsible for the recent deaths of some of the locals.
Runyenjes OCPD Njoroge Mbugua, confirmed the incident and said investigations were launched against those who were involved in the murder. Mr Njoroge said that those involved would be found and legal action taken against them.
He further remarked that it was illegal to practice witchcraft according to the Kenyan constitution, adding that the deceased would have been arrested if the residents reported the matter to the police.
CAP 67 (Witchcraft Act) of the Kenyan constitution states that, “Any person who accuses or threatens to accuse any person with being a witch or with practising witchcraft shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred shillings or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years: Provided that this section shall not apply to any person who makes an accusation to a District Commissioner, a police officer, a chief or any other person in authority.”
Mugenda's body was taken to the Runyenjes Hospital Mortuary.
This comes barely a week after Mombasa County Commissioner, Nelson Marwa, launched an operation to pull down all posters advertising witch doctor services in the coastal region. Marwa said that the notices were deceptive to residents and those found practicing witchcraft would be arrested.death murder arrest illegal
- Tough times5 February 2023 - 8:38 pm
- Unbothered5 February 2023 - 7:38 pm
- Unlawful5 February 2023 - 6:31 pm
- Victory5 February 2023 - 7:56 pm
- Be Careful5 February 2023 - 7:19 pm
- Journey5 February 2023 - 6:51 pm
- CREDITS5 February 2023 - 5:55 pm
- Lanes5 February 2023 - 3:41 pm
- Accident5 February 2023 - 4:41 pm
- take note5 February 2023 - 3:30 pm
- Thirsty Days Ahead5 February 2023 - 4:17 pm
- Strategy5 February 2023 - 3:01 pm