Three people have been killed and others injured after suspected Al Shabaab militants attacked a bus along the Garsen-Lamu Highway.
Reports indicate that the killed were boda-boda riders and the bus was attacked at Nyongoro area near Witu at around 3.30 pm.
The Nation reports that the three died after gunmen opened fire on the bus belonging to Kipini Raha company and a security vehicle heading to Kipini from Malindi.
According to witnesses, the militants shot randomly from the forest before police escorting the vehicle came to the passengers’ rescue.
[caption caption="The Kipini-bound bus attacked by Al Shabaab"][/caption]
Last month, Coast Regional Coordinator Nelson Marwa called for the bombing of Boni Forest in Lamu to eliminate Al-Shabaab militants hiding in the region.
Marwa stated that the terror group had taken over the forest from where they have been launching attacks before retreating back to hiding.
“These people made Boni Forest their home and started to stage attacks and then retreat without even running. I can’t understand this myself… we need to bomb that forest,” Marwa stated.
- tots on air25 May 2020 - 4:50 pm
- latest25 May 2020 - 4:31 pm
- Another One25 May 2020 - 4:26 pm
- the journey25 May 2020 - 3:26 pm
- Protests25 May 2020 - 3:12 pm
- Clarification25 May 2020 - 2:36 pm
- next level25 May 2020 - 1:50 pm
- Extreme Measures25 May 2020 - 1:03 pm
- coming clean25 May 2020 - 12:40 pm
- winning25 May 2020 - 11:48 am
- Head On25 May 2020 - 11:08 am
- Vaccine25 May 2020 - 10:59 am