The Meru road tragedy claimed eight people, including the mother of former student leader and prominent Jubilee Party activist Irene Kendi.
The accident occurred on Saturday when a matatu travelling from Maua to Chuka collided head-on with a lorry. Six people were rescued and taken to Meru Referral and Teaching Hospital.
The Lamu tragedy claimed 11 lives, including close family members of Shekue Kahale, who contested the Lamu East parliamentary seat on the opposition Orange Democratic Movement ticket in the just concluded general election.
Mr Shekue is the only person who has been rescued in the Lamu boat tragedy. Rescue operations are still ongoing.
The ODM politician with his family, which included his wife and two children among other close relatives, was travelling from Kizingitini to Lamu Island when the boat capsized.
"It is unfortunate that the country has lost patriotic and hard working Kenyans who were ready to continue with nation building activities after the conclusion of this years’ general election," President Kenyatta said.
State House confirmed that the President had condoled with families of the victims, and wished all those injured and admitted in hospitals quick recovery.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm