Former nominated Senator Beatrice Elachi has been elected speaker of the Nairobi County Assembly.
Elachi clinched the seat after winning in the first round of voting where she raked in 90 votes out of a possible 122.
Coming in second was Abdi Ali with 27 votes, Wainaina garnered four votes coming in third, Karen Wanjiku one vote and Kamau Thuo was last with no single vote.
The former Majority Whip at the Senate met the required two-thirds majority threshold in the first round claiming victory over her rivals.
She now becomes the second assembly speaker after her predecessor Alex Magelo.
Last week, President Uhuru Kenyatta urged all Jubilee-elected leaders in Nairobi to back the outgoing majority chief whip as it would guarantee her victory.
[caption caption="Beatrice Elachi"][/caption]
Jubilee scooped 45 out of the 85 MCA positions, implying that its candidate would definitely clinch the influential seat. NASA only secured 40 slots.
The Speaker presides over county assembly sittings as the head of the county government's legislative arm.
At least 10 people had declared interest in the seat, nine of them inclined towards the ruling party.
Outgoing deputy speaker Ken Ngondi was the only NASA-affiliated politician who had expressed interest in the job.
- pressing26 February 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Change of Command26 February 2021 - 7:57 pm
- Boosted26 February 2021 - 7:31 pm
- unfortunate26 February 2021 - 7:48 pm
- justice26 February 2021 - 6:23 pm
- Upgrade26 February 2021 - 7:40 pm
- Caution26 February 2021 - 6:22 pm
- warning26 February 2021 - 5:43 pm
- let peace prevail26 February 2021 - 4:52 pm
- Happy26 February 2021 - 4:37 pm
- revealed26 February 2021 - 3:54 pm
- Update26 February 2021 - 5:10 pm