Police officers have mapped out four election violence hotspots ahead of the repeat presidential poll scheduled for October 26.
Kinoti stated that the areas were mapped out after senior police commanders met at the Kenya School of Government to review election preparedness.
The commanders agreed to include new measures and change deployment plans due to the change in political environment.
The Spokesman stated that police have put in place fresh security arrangements aimed at protecting voters and election officials before and during October 26 presidential poll.
[caption caption="National Police Service Spokesman George Kinoti"][/caption]
Kinoti stated that the officers would be on the lookout for attacks on voters and electoral officials as well as those preventing others to vote and blocking roads to polling stations.
"All those risks have been appreciated and are factored into the reviewed operational plan. Police anticipate such attacks would be in isolated places. Security measures are in place in readiness for any eventuality. Any threat will be mitigated by ensuring action is taken before it happens,” Kinoti stated.
“Before any disruption, any plans against the polls will be forestalled. Police will ensure security for all polling officials as well as materials at the stations and distribution centres,” he added.
This comes after Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) officials were attacked in Kisumu and Siaya counties.
The returning officers who were set to undergo training were forced to flee after they were roughed up by a group of rowdy people who destroyed their property and tents.
[caption caption="IEBC training disrupted in Kisumu"][/caption]
- Dangerous9 August 2020 - 12:05 pm
- Presidential Interaction9 August 2020 - 11:45 am
- tragedy9 August 2020 - 10:35 am
- The Truth9 August 2020 - 9:29 am
- 2022 Politics9 August 2020 - 8:46 am
- Shattering ceilings9 August 2020 - 7:49 am
- Commendable9 August 2020 - 7:28 am
- Troubled9 August 2020 - 7:14 am
- heavy hitter8 August 2020 - 7:58 pm
- in hindsight8 August 2020 - 7:32 pm
- changing lives8 August 2020 - 7:03 pm
- emotional8 August 2020 - 5:57 pm