Nyeri Governor Wahome Gakuru has passed on after being involved in a grisly accident in Kabati along the Thika-Kenol Highway on Tuesday morning.
Gakuru succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment at the Thika Level 5 Hospital.
The Governor died as medics prepared to airlift him to Nairobi for specialised care.
His driver and bodyguard were also seriously injured in the accident.
[caption caption="Nyeri Governor William Gakuru"][/caption]
Murang'a County Commissioner John Elung'ata confirmed the death of Dr Gakuru.
Reports indicate that the Governor was travelling from Nyeri to Nairobi for a talk show when the accident occurred.
Mr Elung'ata stated that Kabati is a black spot and most motorists lose control whenever it rains.
Police officers are investigating the cause of the crash.
Earlier this year, another Nyeri Governor Nderitu Gachagua passed on while receiving treatment at a London Hospital.
9:37 am: The story was updated with details on the sudden death of the Governor.
8:19 am: The story was updated with images from the accident.
8:11 am: The story was updated with a confirmation of the accident by Nyeri County Assembly John Kaguchia
- unexpected3 July 2020 - 6:42 pm
- banned3 July 2020 - 5:04 pm
- new start3 July 2020 - 3:38 pm
- new record3 July 2020 - 3:29 pm
- Targetted3 July 2020 - 3:18 pm
- finally3 July 2020 - 2:54 pm
- you've been warned3 July 2020 - 2:31 pm
- nabbed3 July 2020 - 2:07 pm
- Seize the Moment3 July 2020 - 1:34 pm
- vandalised3 July 2020 - 1:13 pm
- Amazing3 July 2020 - 12:36 pm
- end of the road3 July 2020 - 12:14 pm