Politician Steve Mbogo was on Tuesday arraigned in court over a connection to a gold scam worth Sh102.5 million.
Mbogo appeared in court alongside two other suspects where they were accused of fraudulently obtaining Sh102 million from Sayeed Mohammed Altaf, a United Arab Emirates national.
The politician, together with Rashid Ishmael Patel and James Kinyanjui, were presented before Milimani senior principal magistrate Peter Ooko but were not charged.
However, the prosecution wanted the three to be remanded for four days at Kileleshwa police station to allow them to conclude investigations but the magistrate rejected the request.
[caption caption="Politician Steve Mbogo in court"][/caption]
Instead, the judge directed the prosecution to charge the three or release them if they did not have enough particulars to sustain a charge.
"Why do you want to remand them if you have all the information? Charge them if you have all the particulars and if you don’t let them go," Judge Ooko stated.
Mbogo’s lawyers Edwin Sifuna asked the court to give Mbogo anticipatory bail to prevent further arrest.
Sayeed had told police how he was duped of the millions by the suspects after he was introduced by Ishmael to a business deal involving the sale of gold.
A police officer stationed at Nairobi county office, Stephen Wachira, stated that based on the complaint, a team of investigators commenced investigations leading to the arrest of the three on Monday, January 22 at a house in Parklands.
[caption caption="Politician Steve Mbogo outside court building"][/caption]
Police recovered more than one hundred gold imitated cubes that will be forwarded to the mines and geology department for further analysis.
- New Hit25 October 2020 - 8:11 pm
- Saddening25 October 2020 - 7:09 pm
- Stranded25 October 2020 - 7:20 pm
- sneaky25 October 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Unfortunate25 October 2020 - 5:04 pm
- Fiery Ruto25 October 2020 - 4:14 pm
- Covid-19 Update25 October 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Enlighten25 October 2020 - 3:14 pm
- ticking time-bomb25 October 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Our Journey25 October 2020 - 2:40 pm
- road carnage25 October 2020 - 2:07 pm
- grisly25 October 2020 - 12:16 pm