Two cargo trains collided on Sunday evening near Mtito Andei, Voi as they headed to Mombasa.
The accident involving the two, which were running on the old railway, is said to have occurred after one of the trains rammed into the other from behind.
Reports indicate that no one was injured in the incident that took place 700 metres from the Mtito Andei railway station.
[caption caption="Photo of the scene"][/caption]
Area OCPD Francis Kamau indicated that they had launched investigations to establish how the trains hit each other.
"For now we are waiting for specialised assistance from our engineers," Kamau stated.
According to the police boss, they would have to wait for specialized machines to tow the trains from the scene of the accident.
This was expected to disrupt operations along the line for a while until the two trains are removed from the rail.
Though quite rare, accidents involving trains are often fatal and claim casualties with mixups in schedules often the cause.
In October 2013, for instance, a passenger train rammed into a minibus at Mutindwa level crossing, near BuruBuru killing 13 people.
[caption caption="The 2013 Mtindwa train accident"][/caption]
The train hit the 33-seater matatu midriff and dragged it over a 150-metre stretch before halting with the matatu driver being blamed over possible speed miscalculation.
- changes12 July 2020 - 3:36 pm
- discord12 July 2020 - 2:57 pm
- Mansion Tour12 July 2020 - 2:52 pm
- Go Ahead12 July 2020 - 2:13 pm
- 1+112 July 2020 - 1:59 pm
- big break12 July 2020 - 1:46 pm
- Compensation12 July 2020 - 12:41 pm
- shining12 July 2020 - 12:10 pm
- The Truth12 July 2020 - 12:03 pm
- sad12 July 2020 - 11:32 am
- Differences12 July 2020 - 10:06 am
- heating up12 July 2020 - 9:24 am