Several police officers were seriously injured after their vehicle ran over a homemade bomb between Handaro and Sangailu on the Lamu-Garissa border.
According to the police, the device is suspected to have been planted by Al-Shabaab militants.
Police sources divulge that the incident involved an AP Land Cruiser from Ijara carrying more than 10 officers, who were escorting a bulldozer to Sangailu AP camp in Hulugho Division.
[caption caption="Scenes from the Al-Shabaab attack in Nyongoro on the Lamu-Garissa border"][/caption]
However, KDF Spokesperson David Obonyo refused to comment on the incident.
Masalani, Sangailu, Ijara, and Handaro are all within the Linda Boni Operation zone.
The multi-agency operation seeks to flush out Al-Shabaab militants from Boni Forest which has for a long time been used as a hideout.
The attack comes days after Boni honey harvesters sighted more than 200 heavily armed suspected Al-Shabaab militants at Belasange-Jima 2, within Boni Forest in Lamu West, causing fear in the neighboring Pandanguo village.
Last month, Al Shabaab carried out another attack that left at least five police officers dead at Fini Ward in Lafey, Mandera County.
North Eastern regional commissioner Mohamud Saleh stated that the attackers targeted Administration and Kenya Police camps in the area.
[caption caption="Interior Fred Matiang'i during a past press briefing"][/caption]
- Beware15 April 2021 - 9:27 am
- cache of weapons15 April 2021 - 8:32 am
- Relief15 April 2021 - 8:25 am
- Implicated15 April 2021 - 7:45 am
- hope15 April 2021 - 7:23 am
- dangerous14 April 2021 - 7:33 pm
- this is why14 April 2021 - 7:24 pm
- Scaling Heights14 April 2021 - 7:44 pm
- Remarkable14 April 2021 - 6:57 pm
- easy money14 April 2021 - 5:07 pm
- good news14 April 2021 - 5:00 pm
- Unpaid rent14 April 2021 - 4:48 pm