A Swahili song that was performed by a choir on popular TV show America's Got Talent earned the group the golden buzzer.
The Angel City Chorale got the buzzer after performing popular Catholic song 'Baba Yetu' which was composed differently but propelled the choir to its biggest stage yet – broadcast live on America's Got Talent.
Competing against 17 other acts during the Judges' Cut round, Angel City Chorale took the Golden Buzzer and one of the coveted seven spots in the next round of the competition.
The Los Angeles-based choir was founded in 1993 by Sue Fink with an aim of creating an environment for everyone to feel welcomed.
[caption caption="Angel City Chorale celebrating after getting the golden buzzer on AGT"][/caption]
Speaking to the judges, Fink stated: "Los Angeles is a maze. It's a huge city. I wanted to create a small community of singers that felt like they had a home."
The oozing diversity isn't just a strength, but the group's selling point since the choir is made up of people of all different walks of life coming together to celebrate their joys and comfort each other during their low moments.
"We try to represent diversity: different religions, different ages," Fink said onstage. "We're white, black, rich, poor, gay, straight. Even Republicans and Democrats can sit next to each other in our group," Fink explained to the Judges and the audience at AGT.
There was pressure on the choir to top their first audition where they performed "Africa" by America rock band, Toto.
"We're more nervous now. The first time, you go in and sing a song. Now they expect us to do more. They expect us to be better," Fink stated.
The group impressed guest judge Olivia Munn, who stated: "Looking around and seeing the diversity, the different ages and races, yet you all are singing from the same voice. It's so inspirational to see all you guys."
Feigning mike difficulties, she asked: "Is my mike – can you guys hear me OK? Are you sure? Can you hear this?"
She then pressed the Golden Buzzer, guaranteeing the choir a spot in the live round. As golden confetti showered the stage, Munn came up to congratulate the excited members.
- Imageirate22 February 2020 - 8:50 pm
- ImageStay Away!22 February 2020 - 8:40 pm
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm