Kakamega Governor Wycliffe Oparanya has come out to speak on claims that he was the behind alleged attempts to assassinate Likuyani MP Enoch Kibunguchy.
On August 13, Kibunguchy claimed that the bullet that killed his driver Douglas Wamakacha was meant for him.
On Monday chaos ensued at Wakamacha’s burial and five people were shot including the MP’s bodyguard.
Kibunguchy was later to point a finger at Oparanya alleging he was behind the violence threatening his life.
“I don’t know the reason, but my heart tells me the governor is after my life,” the soft spoken legislator remarked.
He remarked that bad blood between them started in 2015 when Oparanya manipulated ODM grassroots election to block him from becoming branch chairman.
On Friday, the Governor dismissed the remarks as wild claims and stated that Kibunguchy was seeking cheap publicity.
“I’ve never in my political life thought about harming anyone,” he told the Star. “He should go and report the matter to police if he has facts. I’ll be ready to be investigated.”
He also noted that he rarely deals with parliamentarians.
“For two people to differ, there must be something of interest between them. I rarely deal with MPs because the people I engage with most are MCAs who have to approve the county programmes,” the county boss mentioned.
Despite being summoned by the police to record a statement about the burial incident, Kakamega DCI John Onyango indicated that Kibunguchy was yet to report by Friday.
Bungoma Senator Moses Wetangula had demanded that police reveal who the shooters were.
“I want police to move with speed and do a thorough investigation and make sure those behind the shooting are brought to book,” he stated.
- New Tricks26 November 2020 - 8:08 pm
- Take Notice26 November 2020 - 7:53 pm
- Beware26 November 2020 - 7:31 pm
- can't keep up26 November 2020 - 7:28 pm
- lights up internet26 November 2020 - 7:16 pm
- development26 November 2020 - 6:31 pm
- Last Option26 November 2020 - 7:43 pm
- Last Laugh26 November 2020 - 7:03 pm
- shaking bridges26 November 2020 - 5:19 pm
- Poisoned26 November 2020 - 4:54 pm
- in progress26 November 2020 - 4:58 pm
- u-turn26 November 2020 - 4:32 pm