Scores Homeless as Fire Burns Houses Down in Kibra [PHOTOS]
Kenyans were alarmed on Saturday after reports were widely shared of a fire incident in Nairobi's Kibra slums that razed down over 20 houses.
The fire that has left about 50 families with nowhere to go is believed to have started in one of the houses in Silanga area.
Witnesses explain that a stove exploded setting the house on fire and the fire soon spread to neighbouring houses.
The incident caused a power outage in the area that was yet to be resolved as the affected residents salvaged what remained of their homes.
The incident sparked anger among stranded residents who put the blame on political leaders.
The disgruntled residents accused their leaders of neglecting them and threatened to sign recall petitions against them.
Response teams from the Red Cross Society were deployed in the area despite a seemingly glue-footed reaction from other authorities.
Kibra's Soweto area suffered a similar incident barely three weeks prior where six people lost their lives.
Shortly after the September 1 incident, Governor Mike Sonko sent a warning to landlords in the area concerning the congested living structures in the area.
"I am giving landlords twenty-one days. If you know you have blocked access paths for the residents, please start making way so that people may pass," the governor stated.
- 19 February 2019 - 2:48 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 2:52 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 1:54 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 1:26 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 2:08 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 12:37 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 12:59 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 12:34 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 11:36 am
- 19 February 2019 - 12:07 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 12:00 pm
- 19 February 2019 - 10:25 am