15 police officers were, on Wednesday, arrested in Kwale County over Kshs11,055 bribes that they had collected during the ongoing matatu crackdown.
According to reports, the officers were manning a roadblock on the Likoni-Lunga Lunga highway roadblock at Magandia where they extorted motorists.
Confirming the arrests, County Administration Police (AP) Commander David Koskei stated that the corrupt officers would be charged after investigations are completed.
He told journalists that the officers who were on night duty reported that no traffic offences had occurred on their watch, raising eyebrows from their OCS.
It was during a morning brief the following day that they were ordered to surrender all they had to the OCS.
"We managed to recover Kshs11,055 from the officers who were on duty that night after failing to report any arrests from the busy road," Koskei told journalists.
Warning his officers from taking bribes from motorists, the AP boss assured that he would not relent in the war against corruption.
"We will take stern action against officers who will be compromised. They will serve as an example to others. I caution all road users to desist from encouraging officers to receive bribes,” he added.
The officers were attached to Kwale Police Station.
- opportunities11 July 2020 - 12:56 pm
- lucky escape11 July 2020 - 1:03 pm
- Spotted11 July 2020 - 12:45 pm
- good news11 July 2020 - 12:00 pm
- R.I.P11 July 2020 - 11:17 am
- heartless11 July 2020 - 10:44 am
- Justice?11 July 2020 - 10:14 am
- Reconciled11 July 2020 - 9:26 am
- turbulent times11 July 2020 - 9:00 am
- Tactical11 July 2020 - 7:57 am
- rip11 July 2020 - 7:29 am
- Tragedy11 July 2020 - 7:05 am