15 police officers were, on Wednesday, arrested in Kwale County over Kshs11,055 bribes that they had collected during the ongoing matatu crackdown.
According to reports, the officers were manning a roadblock on the Likoni-Lunga Lunga highway roadblock at Magandia where they extorted motorists.
Confirming the arrests, County Administration Police (AP) Commander David Koskei stated that the corrupt officers would be charged after investigations are completed.
He told journalists that the officers who were on night duty reported that no traffic offences had occurred on their watch, raising eyebrows from their OCS.
It was during a morning brief the following day that they were ordered to surrender all they had to the OCS.
"We managed to recover Kshs11,055 from the officers who were on duty that night after failing to report any arrests from the busy road," Koskei told journalists.
Warning his officers from taking bribes from motorists, the AP boss assured that he would not relent in the war against corruption.
"We will take stern action against officers who will be compromised. They will serve as an example to others. I caution all road users to desist from encouraging officers to receive bribes,” he added.
The officers were attached to Kwale Police Station.
- revolutionary7 August 2020 - 3:31 pm
- World's First7 August 2020 - 3:40 pm
- new beginnings7 August 2020 - 2:23 pm
- only way7 August 2020 - 2:48 pm
- Daily Briefing7 August 2020 - 2:11 pm
- all in one7 August 2020 - 1:32 pm
- silver lining7 August 2020 - 1:26 pm
- sad7 August 2020 - 12:30 pm
- Heartbreaking Tales7 August 2020 - 12:53 pm
- out the door7 August 2020 - 11:38 am
- Stormy Affair7 August 2020 - 10:42 am
- open up7 August 2020 - 10:21 am