Nairobi governor Mike Sonko on Friday failed to announce the deputy governor as promised earlier in the week.
Speaking in Mombasa, he disclosed that he was ready to appoint the next deputy governor but received a letter from NASA in the morning, recommending Rahab Wangui, a former Wiper candidate for Nairobi Woman Representative.
He revealed that in the spirit of the handshake, he decided to consult with other stakeholders including ODM leader, Raila Odinga and make a final decision soon.
Sonko assured city residents that Wangui had vast experience in public office and that she understood the needs of the people of Nairobi.
In August last year, Sonko shortlisted four female candidates; Agnes Kagure, Bishop Margaret Wanjiru, Karen Nyamu and Jane Weru for nomination to the post of his deputy.
This came after his former deputy, Polycarp Igathe, resigned four months after being sworn into office arguing that he had failed to earn the confidence of his boss.
He, however, announced the names of new County Executive Committee Members (CECMs) days after the resignation of Education CEC Janet Muthoni Ouko.
Here are the members including five who have been retained from his former cabinet:
1. Lucia Mulwa - CECM Youth Gender Sports Culture and Social Services
2. Stella Bosire Otieno - CECM Health Docket
3. Winfred Kathangu- CECM Finance and Economic planning
4. Pauline Kahiga Waititu - CECM Devolution
5. Sanjeev Kaur Sonia Birdi - CECM Environment
6. Charles Kerich - CECM Lands, Urban Planning, Urban Renewal and Housing
7. Mohamed Dagane - CECM Roads, Infrastructure and Transport
8. Allan Igambi - CECM Trade, Tourism and Co-operatives
9. Larry Wambua - CECM Agriculture and Water Docket
10 Newton Munene - CECM ICT, Communications and E-Government.
Making the announcement, Sonko warned that he won't entertain laxity in his administration praising the five he retained for upholding good governance.
"Niko na mawaziri watano wale nimeretain...tumefanya kazi mzuri...so watu wajiulize kwa nini hawa sina shida na wao...ni mtu mmoja, wawili watatu kwa sababu nilisema sitakubali uzembe na sitakubali ufisadi (I have five CECs that I have retained...we have worked well...so people should ask themselves why I haven't had wrangles with them..it is just one, two or three people because I vowed not to entertain laxity and corruption)," stated Sonko.corruption
- LANDMARK28 November 2021 - 2:41 pm
- exquisite28 November 2021 - 1:50 pm
- SHAKEN28 November 2021 - 12:46 pm
- expert opinion28 November 2021 - 1:13 pm
- Take Note28 November 2021 - 11:32 am
- LOGGERHEADS28 November 2021 - 11:26 am
- on the spot28 November 2021 - 10:36 am
- TEACHING28 November 2021 - 10:16 am
- HELPED28 November 2021 - 9:58 am
- Murky Waters28 November 2021 - 9:40 am
- Gloves off28 November 2021 - 9:10 am
- revealed28 November 2021 - 7:53 am