City billionaire Humphrey Kariuki's list of offences grew longer on Thursday when he was found in possession of undeclared dual citizenship.
DCI officers who were initially questioning him over tax evasion were taken by surprise by new revelations about his Cypriot passport, made by the Department of Immigration.
While Kenyans have a right to become dual citizens, the Citizenship and Immigration Act states that every Kenyan should disclose their other citizenship within three months of becoming a dual citizen.
Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti told Nation that they will also charge Kariuki for not disclosing his citizenship in Cyprus.
In Cyprus, investors have to part with Ksh226 million for a passport. They also have to make a compulsory donation of Ksh8.4 million to the Research and Innovation Foundation and another of the same amount to the Cyprus Land Development Corporation that funds the country's affordable housing program.
Humphrey is currently was put on DCI's radar after the discovery of 312,000 litres of illicit liquor and 21 million fake Kenya Revenue Authority stamps at an industry linked to him.
Africa Spirit Limited which was raided by police is only a small part of Kariuki’s multi-billion empire under the name Janus Continental Group, a holding company.
Kariuki ventured into the Wines and Spirits business while he was in his late 20s.
He engaged in the business of distributorship of the alcohol products through Wines of the World Limited as the distributor for Jack Daniels, Bacardi and the Edrington Group with premium brands that included The Macallan, The Famous Grouse, and Brugal rum.
Among other investments, Janus company owns the luxurious Mt Kenya Safari Club, a retreat to famous Hollywood stars such as William Holden.alcohol probe tax evasion
- exquisite28 November 2021 - 1:50 pm
- SHAKEN28 November 2021 - 12:46 pm
- expert opinion28 November 2021 - 1:13 pm
- Take Note28 November 2021 - 11:32 am
- LOGGERHEADS28 November 2021 - 11:26 am
- on the spot28 November 2021 - 10:36 am
- TEACHING28 November 2021 - 10:16 am
- HELPED28 November 2021 - 9:58 am
- Murky Waters28 November 2021 - 9:40 am
- Gloves off28 November 2021 - 9:10 am
- revealed28 November 2021 - 7:53 am
- Up in Flames28 November 2021 - 7:25 am