Two people passed away and several others were injured after a police Land Cruiser, that was in pursuit of a matatu, rammed into a crowd at Itumbe market in Kisii County on Tuesday night at around 9.
Eye witness accounts noted that the vehicles were moving at very high speed at the time of the accident.
One of the victims died on the spot while the other succumbed to his injuries at Lenmek hospital.
“Immediately after the accident, locals engaged the police in running battles as the officers fought to take the body of the deceased away,” Sagini Kerosi, an eyewitness reiterated.
"It's very unfortunate that a police officer who is informed about traffic rules can drive in such a careless way. We want justice for these families," Sagini further added.
Angry residents of Itumbe market barricaded roads and lit fires in protest of the accident.
This is not the first incident in the area that involved police officers.
In 2018, enraged protesters engaged police in running battles over the alleged killing of a bus conductor by a police officer at a roadblock.
The tout was allegedly hit by a gun butt when their vehicle failed to stop after it was waved down at a roadblock.
A primary school pupil was shot and injured during the chaos that ensued.
- Imageshots fired10 April 2020 - 10:03 am
- Imagehidden agenda?10 April 2020 - 10:07 am
- ImageAnother One10 April 2020 - 9:56 am
- Imagegreenlight10 April 2020 - 9:11 am
- ImagePandemic10 April 2020 - 8:37 am
- Imageangry10 April 2020 - 8:34 am
- Imagesuffering abroad10 April 2020 - 7:13 am
- Imagedo's and donts9 April 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageabort mission9 April 2020 - 7:05 pm
- Imagekind9 April 2020 - 6:40 pm
- Imagebedlam9 April 2020 - 6:31 pm
- ImageBeware9 April 2020 - 7:11 pm