Two people passed away and several others were injured after a police Land Cruiser, that was in pursuit of a matatu, rammed into a crowd at Itumbe market in Kisii County on Tuesday night at around 9.
Eye witness accounts noted that the vehicles were moving at very high speed at the time of the accident.
One of the victims died on the spot while the other succumbed to his injuries at Lenmek hospital.
“Immediately after the accident, locals engaged the police in running battles as the officers fought to take the body of the deceased away,” Sagini Kerosi, an eyewitness reiterated.
"It's very unfortunate that a police officer who is informed about traffic rules can drive in such a careless way. We want justice for these families," Sagini further added.
Angry residents of Itumbe market barricaded roads and lit fires in protest of the accident.
This is not the first incident in the area that involved police officers.
In 2018, enraged protesters engaged police in running battles over the alleged killing of a bus conductor by a police officer at a roadblock.
The tout was allegedly hit by a gun butt when their vehicle failed to stop after it was waved down at a roadblock.
A primary school pupil was shot and injured during the chaos that ensued.
- Matatu Sanity29 November 2020 - 9:43 am
- corridors of justice29 November 2020 - 9:27 am
- My Take29 November 2020 - 9:18 am
- escape29 November 2020 - 9:04 am
- Unfortunate29 November 2020 - 8:11 am
- Life Saver29 November 2020 - 7:54 am
- costly29 November 2020 - 7:20 am
- details28 November 2020 - 7:58 pm
- looming danger28 November 2020 - 7:52 pm
- rising above28 November 2020 - 7:30 pm
- get out28 November 2020 - 7:21 pm
- update28 November 2020 - 5:39 pm