A Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) imposter was on Thursday arrested by police in Gilgil after attempting to con a woman Ksh 720,000.
The woman had run to the suspect, who had identified himself as a captain in the forces for him, to help her two sons join the military.
He was arrested in one of the hotels while waiting for money from the victim.
The police managed to recover fake recruitment documents from the suspect while noting that there could have been more victims who were swindled of their hard-earned money.
“We have one complainant who was conned Ksh720,000 by this suspect who has been lying that he works with the army and we are expecting more complaints, we are expecting more complaints” an officer from Gilgil police station confirmed.
In yet another incident that happened in May, a fake journalist conned a police officer attached to Langas Police Station in Uasin Gichu of Ksh 300,000.
Corporal Edward Kemboi stated that the alleged journalist had introduced himself as an employee of the National Intelligence Service (NIS), Eldoret branch, and would always visit the station in search of crime-related stories.
The corporal then asked the alleged journalist if his son, Erick Tanui, would get an employment slot at the National Intelligence Service.
It is at this point that the suspect told him about a Ksh 300,000 fee that needed to be paid so that his 20-year-old son would get the job which he gave him after acquiring a loan.
The imposter later disappeared.
“My worry is how I can get this conman. He didn’t give us his full names, he is a person known to many people including journalists," Kemboi stated.
- pressing26 February 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Change of Command26 February 2021 - 7:57 pm
- Boosted26 February 2021 - 7:31 pm
- unfortunate26 February 2021 - 7:48 pm
- justice26 February 2021 - 6:23 pm
- Upgrade26 February 2021 - 7:40 pm
- Caution26 February 2021 - 6:22 pm
- warning26 February 2021 - 5:43 pm
- let peace prevail26 February 2021 - 4:52 pm
- Happy26 February 2021 - 4:37 pm
- revealed26 February 2021 - 3:54 pm
- Update26 February 2021 - 5:10 pm