Uhuru Gives Orders Over La Mada Hotel Meetings

UPDATE: Trade and Industrialisation Cabinet Secretary Peter Munya later denied reports claiming that Uhuru ordered him and others to stop La Mada meetings explaining that they had intensified their discussions.

The CS added that they had devolved their gatherings to counties and sub-counties.

"Our meetings continue. We are intensifying them. Nobody has stopped us. We are cascading issues of development to counties and sub-counties to know the exact situation on the ground, for instance where the water projects have reached," stated Munya

President Uhuru Kenyatta reportedly issued an order to cabinet secretaries regarding the highly publicised La Mada Hotel meetings saga.

According to a report by The Star, the president allegedly asked the CSs to stop carrying out meetings at the hotel directing all leaders to hold theirs "within existing structures”.

He further directed the CSs to hold their gatherings within the various Cabinet sub-committees and that they should involve elected leaders in all development matters.

The directive was reportedly given shortly after a meeting between Uhuru and his deputy, William Ruto.

“It was one of their top agenda when they met last week at State House. It was a concern to them that the meeting was distracting the government.

"They had to make a decision; you will see more action being taken against some senior people in government,” The Star quoted a highly placed in the Presidency.

On July 6, Kenyans.co.ke reported intricate details of a lengthy secret meeting between the top two Jubilee Party leaders at State House.

The meeting centred on wrangles and divisions in the Cabinet and Jubilee Party unity, with the president being forced to reassure his deputy of his support ahead of 2022. 

It was the first face to face meeting between the two following days of intense political heat triggered by Ruto's claims of a plan to eliminate him ahead of the 2022 polls.

Reports also indicated that the Cabinet, which usually meets on Thursdays, had not met for three weeks now.