Kenya's Deputy President (DP), William Ruto, came clean on how his mother, Sarah Cheruiyot Samoei, underwent the outlawed practice of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).
"My mother went through it, but don't dare try it on my daughters," he declared.
The DP was speaking at the wedding ceremony of human rights activist, Amos Olempaka, in Baringo, on Sunday.
He went on to castigate the inhumane exercise, sternly urging the locals to totally shun FGM.
"Kuna mila zingine lazima tuache nyuma. Tuko na wasichana wengi katika jamii. Maneno ya zamani ya kuja kukata wasichana, na kuwapeleka mahali pengine hapo corner, hiyo maneno lazima tukomeshe, loosely translating to, There are some traditions we need to leave behind. We have many girls across our families. The practice of Female Genital Mutilation needs to stop immediately," he asserted.
DP Ruto went on to warn the locals who would ignore his directive, making it clear that the government would come down hard on anyone caught carrying out the outlawed practice.
Kenya's fight against FGM since its illegalization in 2011, has been fraught with both success and failure, resistance and acceptance.
Reports claim that since the ban, is now conducted underground, secretly in homes or in clinics.
Watch Ruto confessing about his mother's ordeal and condemning FGM:
- next level25 May 2020 - 1:50 pm
- Extreme Measures25 May 2020 - 1:03 pm
- coming clean25 May 2020 - 12:40 pm
- winning25 May 2020 - 11:48 am
- Head On25 May 2020 - 11:08 am
- Vaccine25 May 2020 - 10:59 am
- Saddening25 May 2020 - 10:07 am
- helping hand25 May 2020 - 9:55 am
- Poisoned25 May 2020 - 8:50 am
- heated25 May 2020 - 8:20 am
- baby fever25 May 2020 - 7:19 am
- Hit Hard25 May 2020 - 7:35 am