Three suspected terrorists are being held by the police after they were nabbed reportedly surveying Villa Rosa Kempinski Hotel, on Sunday.
According to a report by The Star, the three, Abdi Mohammed Guled, Ibrahim Mohammed Guled and Mohammed Bashi Aden were arrested taking pictures of the picturesque hotel.
They were also found in possession of several items including Kenyan IDs, mobile phones and electronic gadgets which were taken for forensic analysis.
Confirming the incident, Sergeant Joseph Mwiti, who is attached to the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit, swore an affidavit that the three were arrested on suspicion of carrying out surveillance with an aim of carrying out a terrorist attack.
“The respondents were covertly taking photographs at the hotel and when questioned, they did not give an explanation.
“I want to retrieve their digital prints for forensic examination, as well as examine their social media accounts. It is important for them to be detained by the ATPU to enable detailed criminal enquires to be carried out,” swore Mwiti.
It was also revealed that, based on intelligence reports collected so far, the three suspects were a part of a large organisation and have other associates.
“There is a need to carry out detailed interviews with the suspects and their associates to find out their co-conspirators,” continued Mwiti.
The officer, as a result, asked Milimani Law Courts not to grant the suspects bail as they pose a greater threat to national security.
He also wanted them held at a police station within Nairobi and its details concealed from the public.
If found guilty, the three are facing between 20 and 30 years in prison for conspiring to commit a terrorist act and being members of a terrorist group.
- Imageirate22 February 2020 - 8:50 pm
- ImageStay Away!22 February 2020 - 8:40 pm
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm