AU Envoy, Raila Odinga, on Saturday spoke out on his intentions for the presidential race in 2022, in an event in Gem, Siaya County
The opposition leader, gave the clearest indication yet that he will contest the presidency in the approaching general elections.
Reports by Daily Nation indicate that Raila explained that it was the reason he resolved to work with President Uhuru Kenyatta.
He revealed that he had come to the realisation that it was time to change strategy as he waits for the opportune time to ascend to power.
"You have seen me change tack. This is a strategy. There are several ways that can lead us to where our ambition is," he added.
Raila further assured his supporters that he was still optimistic they would get what they have struggled for over the years.
Speaking at the burial of his aunt, Eva Donde, the former PM also announced that the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) was revamping itself in readiness for 2022 General Election.
He asked party members to prepare for grassroots elections next year.
Raila further explained his handshake with the President, saying it was intended to take Kenyans to the “promised land.”
"We will eventually get to Canaan, the land of plenty where our youth will get jobs, schools, health facilities, water, electricity and roads will not be a problem. That is where we seek to take the country," he declared.
Raila had kept Kenyans guessing about his future political ambitions, with his critics asking him to retire from active politics.
However, his allies, especially from Nyanza region, repeatedly urged him to take a shot at the presidency for the fifth time come 2022.
The opposition leader previously contested the seat four times, in 1997, 2007, 2013 and 2017.
- ImageTragic30 March 2020 - 8:52 pm
- Imagetrue or false?30 March 2020 - 7:59 pm
- Imagerestrain30 March 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageoblivious30 March 2020 - 7:27 pm
- Imagegoodies30 March 2020 - 7:29 pm
- Imagetimely30 March 2020 - 6:46 pm
- Imagehistoric30 March 2020 - 5:37 pm
- Imageout of stock?30 March 2020 - 5:00 pm
- Imagefed-up30 March 2020 - 4:25 pm
- ImageRed-line30 March 2020 - 4:32 pm
- ImageSurge30 March 2020 - 3:21 pm
- Imagethe law won30 March 2020 - 4:11 pm