Popular Kikuyu Benga musician John Ng'ang'a, alias John De'Mathew, died in a road crash along the Thika Superhighway on Sunday evening.
Confirming the news, Thika Base Commander Elenah Wamuyu stated that the singer's vehicle rammed into a lorry near Blue Post Hotel. He was alone in the car.
Reports indicate that he was heading home after attending a fundraiser for fellow musician Peter Kagia’s ailing child.
He was pronounced dead on arrival at Thika Nursing Home.
Speaking to journalists, the driver of the lorry stated that he was on his way to Sagana from Athi river when a speeding vehicle hit him from behind.
"When I got here at Blue Post, a car belonging to DeMathew hit me at the back.
"He was removed from the car by good samaritans who rushed him to hospital as I waited for the traffic police to show up," the driver told journalists at the scene.
According to enthusiasts of the genre, the musician's illustrious career is only comparable to that of the late John Kamaru.
He is reported to have released 50 albums during his lifetime most of which centred on the issues facing his people at the time.
On Saturday, he had performed in a club, Tracc Palace, which would be his last.
- ImageTragic30 March 2020 - 8:52 pm
- Imagetrue or false?30 March 2020 - 7:59 pm
- Imagerestrain30 March 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageoblivious30 March 2020 - 7:27 pm
- Imagegoodies30 March 2020 - 7:29 pm
- Imagetimely30 March 2020 - 6:46 pm
- Imagehistoric30 March 2020 - 5:37 pm
- Imageout of stock?30 March 2020 - 5:00 pm
- Imagefed-up30 March 2020 - 4:25 pm
- ImageRed-line30 March 2020 - 4:32 pm
- ImageSurge30 March 2020 - 3:21 pm
- Imagethe law won30 March 2020 - 4:11 pm