Deputy President, William Ruto, on Friday, joined the war on drugs with the launch of a new project in Emgwen, Nandi County.
The DP laid the foundation stone for the Kabirirsang Rehabilitation Centre, which is expected to cater to addicts from the region and beyond.
“We must utilise all resources to fight narcotics and substance abuse and free our youths from the yoke of alcoholism and drugs.
"Counseling, peer education and rehabilitation will turn youth into productive, energetic citizens and empower them,” DP Ruto stated.
This comes barely a week after Interior CS, Fred Matiang’i, pitched camp at the Coast in a bid to flush out drug lords in the region.
In the crackdown, several people were arrested, arraigned in court and charged with the peddling of illegal drugs.
Detectives from the DCI conducted a raid at the home of a suspected drug lord, Ali Punjani, in Mombasa, after CS Matiang'i ordered a crackdown on narcotics.
Punjani is currently out of the country. Nation reported that his lawyers claimed the tycoon was in India, seeking medical attention.
The businessman was first linked to narcotics by a US Embassy dossier that the then Internal Security Minister, the late George Saitoti, tabled in Parliament.
His name also came up during the trial of the Akasha brothers who were arrested in Kenya and extradited to the US to face drug trafficking charges.
- oops6 July 2020 - 8:57 pm
- comical6 July 2020 - 7:04 pm
- aluta continua6 July 2020 - 6:42 pm
- Moves6 July 2020 - 6:30 pm
- Comeback6 July 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Ray of Hope6 July 2020 - 4:44 pm
- latest6 July 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Soaring6 July 2020 - 4:26 pm
- Reactions6 July 2020 - 4:03 pm
- frontliners6 July 2020 - 3:22 pm
- latest6 July 2020 - 2:15 pm
- Open Skies6 July 2020 - 1:49 pm