Embu residents were on Saturday, August 31, left in shock after a church robber died under unclear circumstances hours after being taken into police custody.
According to Nation, the suspect, whose name hasn't been identified, was allegedly caught stealing from Salvation Army Church by a worshiper on the night of Thursday, August, 29.
The area residents are reported to have frogmarched the 24-year-old suspect to Kiguma Police Post where he was locked up.
However, moments later, the suspect was found dead inside the police cell after he allegedly collapsed despite not being harmed by anyone.
Embu East deputy police boss Michael Wachira confirmed the incident and urged the locals to accord the police time to complete the investigations.
He added that they should cease speculating on the suspect's cause of death.
Dominic Mugendi, a leader at the church called on the police to expedite their investigations and uncover the mystery surrounding the suspect's death.
The church leader explained that the church did not believe in inflicting injuries on suspects and that the man was taken to the police so that legal action could be taken against him.
Mugendi alongside his assistant Elizabeth Wangui recorded a statement with the police.
The suspect's body was taken to Runyenjes Hospital mortuary.
- get ready6 June 2020 - 5:20 pm
- full speech6 June 2020 - 4:13 pm
- Gradual6 June 2020 - 4:15 pm
- Not yet over6 June 2020 - 3:47 pm
- free to move6 June 2020 - 3:37 pm
- Anxious6 June 2020 - 2:40 pm
- smart leader6 June 2020 - 2:56 pm
- unfortunate6 June 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Soaring6 June 2020 - 3:28 pm
- honour6 June 2020 - 2:10 pm
- Insider6 June 2020 - 1:55 pm
- rip6 June 2020 - 1:00 pm