President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday, September 18, ordered the cancellation of the Kimwarer dam project contract.
The project, which has made headlines a couple of times in the media, was found to be overpriced and economically unviable.
The president also ordered the immediate commencement of the implementation of the Arror Multipurpose Dam project with the new design components and cost rationalization plan as developed by a technical committee tasked to review the projects.
In a report presented to the president by the committee chaired by Principal Secretary for Infrastructure, Professor Paul Maringa and comprising of Quantity Surveyor Julius Matu, Eng Benjamin Mwangi and Eng John Muiruri, the Kimwarer dam project was found to be overpriced.
The committee established that no current reliable feasibility study had been conducted on the dam project.
In addition, it was noted that a study orchestrated on a similar project 28 years ago had revealed a geological fault across the 800-acre project area, which would have negative structural effects on the proposed dam.
Also, the committee disclosed that people living in the project area would require compensation if they were to be displaced.
The report also stated that the water supply mechanism for the Kimwarer Dam would involve pumping, an aspect the technical committee found to be unsustainable.
Therefore, the committee adviced the commander-in-chief to discontinue the Kimwarer Dam project.
The committee also reviewed the Arror Multipurpose Dam, which they stated, was economically viable but noted that it was overpriced.
They advocated for a cost rationalization plan, which would ensure that the project was implemented cost-effectively without affecting its performance and output.
- Upgrade26 November 2020 - 12:37 pm
- Speak out26 November 2020 - 12:23 pm
- fulfilled wish26 November 2020 - 11:19 am
- Armed client26 November 2020 - 11:17 am
- Tough Times26 November 2020 - 10:45 am
- Drama26 November 2020 - 12:12 pm
- Strict Measures26 November 2020 - 9:53 am
- Keep off26 November 2020 - 10:12 am
- snubbed?26 November 2020 - 9:29 am
- breaks silence26 November 2020 - 8:48 am
- savings26 November 2020 - 9:09 am
- Ghost Staff26 November 2020 - 8:16 am