Baringo Senator Gideon Moi, a son to retired President Daniel Arap Moi, sent a special request to Kenyans on Thursday, October 10.
Taking to his social media pages, the senator implored Kenyans to reflect on the African values that distinguished them from other countries.
Further, he wished for peace, love and unity to continue reigning in the country.
"As we observe this year's Moi Day, I want to implore on all Kenyans to reflect on the African values that distinguish us, and bestow upon us our common identity and collective aspirations as a people. Thus, may peace, love and unity continue to reign supreme in our land," he posted on his Facebook page.
In a press statement by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i on Tuesday, October 8, he persuaded Kenyans to mark the day by showing kindness to one another.
"Kenyans are encouraged to mark the day with selfless acts of service that seek to promote patriotism, national unity, social justice, cohesion and sustainable development in their communities, for the benefit of present and future generations," the statement read.
The October 10 holiday was reintroduced in 2018, after being removed from the list of national holidays following the promulgation of the Constitution in August 2010.
However, a court ruling in November 2017, by Justice George Odunga, reinstated the day on grounds that its removal was in contravention of the Public Holidays Act.
Odunga further stated the holiday would be observed until Parliament amends Schedule One of the Public Holidays Act, or the minister substitutes the same for another date.
However, in his decision, the judge clarified that it was not up to the court to prescribe the manner in which the day was to be celebrated.
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm
- ImageBy the Bullet27 February 2020 - 1:43 pm
- Imagebig brother27 February 2020 - 1:46 pm
- ImageGive Up27 February 2020 - 1:03 pm
- ImageNo show27 February 2020 - 1:41 pm
- ImageTimely Intervention27 February 2020 - 12:30 pm
- ImageTroubled27 February 2020 - 1:11 pm