Dagoretti North MP Simba Arati, on Saturday, November 9, responded to the outrage caused by a viral video that depicted him inciting goons against his fellow MP Didmus Barasa during the Kibra polls.
The video captured a group of youth slapping the MP, pushing him around and removing his signature cap shortly after he had pleaded with Arati.
In an interview with The Standard, Arati defended himself from the accusation explaining that, in fact, he stepped in and helped save Barasa from the attackers.
He further disclosed that he regretted being blamed for how the confrontation turned out and that his utterances were taken out of context.
“Sadly, I am being blamed yet I saved my brother from the wrath of the youths who had been told that Jubilee legislators were on the ground to buy voters.
“It is wrong for people and even you the media to report that I unleashed youths on Barasa. It is me who saved him," he explained.
In the video, two leaders are seen shaking hands before Arati is heard asking Barasa if he was ready to run. "Unatafuta kukimbizwa tena... I can decide Ukimbizwe tena (Are you looking to be chased away again... I can decide to have you chased away)," stated Arati.
Barasa responded by arguing that the two were work colleagues. Shortly after the exchange, a number of goons attacked the Kimilili MP.
“Rumours were rife that Barasa and Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi had been chased in the morning so when I met him, I inquired if he still wanted to run.
"It is his women who started exchanging with the youths, in fact, were it not for me, the situation could have turned nastier,” he continued.
Earlier that day, Thursday, November 7, Barasa had confided in Kenyans.co.ke that several Jubilee MPs had been roughed up by goons paid by the opposition.
"ODM is desperate, what they are doing is chasing away Members of Parliament not allied to their parties, they even tried to rough Oscar Sudi up. They also tried to rough me up, so I can say they thrive in violence," he stated.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm