Deputy President William Ruto tickled over 6,000 leaders, academicians, advocates and dignitaries drawn from all corners of the globe on Thursday, November 14, 2019.
Ruto was addressing dignitaries during the conclusion of the 25th International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) held at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC) in Nairobi.
The just-concluded ICPD 25 seeks to wipe out maternal deaths, stop gender-based violence and meet the demand for family planning – all in 10 years.
Before Ruto dropped the remark that drew a lot of laughter and applause from the audience, the deputy president said, "I have been to many conferences and if attendance is any measure of success, this conference is in its own class."
Ruto then delivered the punchline stating, "This is the only conference I've attended where there are more people at the end of the ceremony compared to the beginning of the conference."
In another remark that surprised the delegates, Ruto added, "Having said that, I do not know what is left of my last remarks after listening to the little girl from Kibra. I think she could have made the closing remarks on behalf of the government of Kenya."
On Tuesday, November 12, President Uhuru Kenyatta opened the conference and noted, "Because our women are the gatekeepers to family health, they exert such a powerful influence on intergenerational outcomes for their children.”
Uhuru added that empowering women goes a long way in enabling families, societies, nations and even the world. The president was also lauded for his efforts in ridding Kenya of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).child death violence
- New directive16 September 2021 - 7:48 pm
- Freedom16 September 2021 - 8:01 pm
- Scammed16 September 2021 - 7:38 pm
- Fury16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Clapback16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- OPPORTUNITY16 September 2021 - 6:26 pm
- Central Role16 September 2021 - 6:25 pm
- unfortunate16 September 2021 - 5:41 pm
- Kind-Hearted16 September 2021 - 5:27 pm
- Remarkable16 September 2021 - 5:51 pm
- Disrupted16 September 2021 - 4:38 pm
- long arm of law16 September 2021 - 4:45 pm