Raila Odinga Junior on Tuesday, December 3 ridiculed Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko's directive to hike parking fees to Ksh 400 up from Ksh 200.
County Director of Parking Services Tom Tinega, through a notice dated December 2, 2019, issued the new parking rates that would come to effect on December 4, as reported by Citizen Digital.
The former premier's son took to Twitter to question the governor's audacity in increasing the fees amid the tough conditions and living standards in Nairobi.
"Governor Mike Sonko has kept his promise of reducing levies imposed on Nairobians by reviewing parking fees upward by 100 per cent, the irony of it being done amidst poor drainage and impassable roads in the CBD, interesting!" Raila Junior tweeted.
He was seconded by a host of Kenyans online who expressed their frustration.
A Twitter user wondered, "Weirdly enough, Sonko has boasted about collecting the highest revenue in Nairobi County history... yet he hasn't managed to tackle the drainage issues that dogged Kidero....and has county workers protesting over pay quite often...is he paying off our SGR loans?"
A few commended Sonko for the initiative, stating that the increment in parking fees was meant to decongest the city.
Others asked the governor to make exemptions to public transport vehicles.
"Parking for private cars should be tripled, and those of PSVs waived. Best cities in the world encourage public transport and discourage private motorists," a Twitter user by the moniker Philosopher 254 stated.
- new directive25 September 2020 - 2:14 pm
- in the cold25 September 2020 - 1:52 pm
- Congrats!25 September 2020 - 12:59 pm
- exquisite25 September 2020 - 12:53 pm
- stay woke25 September 2020 - 11:57 am
- Power play25 September 2020 - 11:30 am
- barricaded25 September 2020 - 11:24 am
- Infuriated25 September 2020 - 10:27 am
- Cancelled25 September 2020 - 9:19 am
- claims25 September 2020 - 8:57 am
- Alarming Wage Bill25 September 2020 - 7:39 am
- calling shots25 September 2020 - 7:14 am