On Friday night, December 6, a balcony to a night club collapsed killing one person on the spot and injuring 13 others in Chuka, Tharaka-Nithi.
The victim was a student at Kenyatta University and the survivors are all students at Chuka University.
Meru South Deputy County Commissioner Albanas Ndiso said the students were drinking beer when the balcony collapsed at 1 am.
“One died and 13 are receiving treatment at the Chuka County Referral Hospital and four are in critical condition,” stated Ndiso.
A correspondent who spoke to Kenyans.co.ke the building was one-storeyed, housing a night club on the top floor.
Ndiso further revealed that the owner of the Coco Lounge bar had been immediately arrested and was being held at Chuka Police Station.
He also stated that the suspect would be arraigned on Monday, December 9.
Tharaka Nithi County Physical Planning and Housing executive Jasper Nkanya ordered his officers to investigate and establish what caused the collapse of the balcony of the recently constructed building.
Students who witnessed the incident stated that the balcony collapsed when the bar was full of revellers, mostly Chuka University students.
“I heard a big bang followed by screams and I rushed outside,
“We found several of our colleagues on the writhing in pain on the ground as they called for help,” revealed Elijah Magana, a student at the university.
James Kamau, another student, said most of the injured were hit by debris.
This came barely a day after building collapsed in Tassia Embakasi east leading to the death of at least 5 people while 32 others were rescued.
Residents from the estates along with area police officers are engaged in efforts to rescue the victims feared trapped in the building.
- Power House29 September 2020 - 7:15 am
- blocked29 September 2020 - 7:20 am
- phased reopening28 September 2020 - 7:23 pm
- New Guidelines28 September 2020 - 6:07 pm
- All in28 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- in hindsight28 September 2020 - 6:17 pm
- updates28 September 2020 - 5:03 pm
- M.I.A28 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Nerve-wracking28 September 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Behind Bars28 September 2020 - 2:51 pm
- living large28 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Reprieve28 September 2020 - 1:48 pm