Operations at Kimwarer Patrol Base in Keiyo South, Elgeyo Marakwet County stalled on Saturday, December 7 after a suspect escaped with the occurrence book and handcuffs.
In a report by The Standard on December 7, the suspect fled unnoticed from a cell under unclear circumstances with his handcuffs still on him.
According to Keiyo South Sub-county Police Commander Charles Laboso, the suspect was among three people who had been arrested in connection with the theft of Kenya Power materials in Kimwarer, near the now-defunct Kenya Fluorspar Mining Company.
The suspect had been apprehended on Friday, December 6, but his accomplice managed to escape.
After the arrest, the police decided to hold the suspect at the patrol base and arraign him in court on Monday.
“He was awaiting transfer to Kaptagat Police Station, more than 20km away, where he would be in police custody through the weekend waiting to be arraigned in court,” Laboso told The Standard.
However, the police commander indicated that the suspect had been held in a temporary cell for lack of adequate facilities at the station.
“Our officers could not take the suspect to Kaptagat Police Station where we have police cells and more officers because the roads in the area are impassable due to the ongoing rains,” remarked Laboso.
A manhunt was launched immediately after the escape.
- Power House29 September 2020 - 7:15 am
- blocked29 September 2020 - 7:20 am
- phased reopening28 September 2020 - 7:23 pm
- New Guidelines28 September 2020 - 6:07 pm
- All in28 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- in hindsight28 September 2020 - 6:17 pm
- updates28 September 2020 - 5:03 pm
- M.I.A28 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Nerve-wracking28 September 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Behind Bars28 September 2020 - 2:51 pm
- living large28 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Reprieve28 September 2020 - 1:48 pm