As President Uhuru Kenyatta led Kenyans in marking Jamhuri Day on Thursday, December 12, the world also joined the celebrations.
For Kenyans in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, it was a spectacular view as the tallest building in the world was lit up in colours from the Kenyan flag.
Standing at 828 meters, the Burj Khalifa illuminated Dubai with the Kenyan flag, joining in on the spirit of Jamhuri.
However, questions have since emerged online about who paid for or how much was paid to have the colours of the Kenyan flag grace the skyscraper.
According to Arabian Business, it costs upwards of Ksh6.9 million to put up a message or advertise on the Burj Khalifa for three minutes during weekdays and Ksh9.6 million during the weekends.
To advertise on two three-minute impressions on any night between 8 pm and 10 pm, the building's management commands a fee of Ksh 13.8 million and Ksh 27.6 million for five three-minute impressions for any night between 7 pm and midnight.
In October 2019, the sky scrapper was also illuminated with colours of the Ugandan flag, when the country marked its independence day.
The same claims were made that President Yoweri Museveni's government paid for the gesture.
However, Pesa Check, an organisation that highlights fake news, reached out to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Uganda’s Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates Zaake Kibedi, who confirmed that the government did not pay to have the national flag displayed at the Burj Khalifa.
The same priceless gesture may have been extended to the Government of Kenya.
Google also joined in on Kenya's Jamhuri celebrations by embedding a doodle with colours of the Kenyan flag on its search engine.
- out of the box1 October 2020 - 4:42 pm
- latest report1 October 2020 - 3:30 pm
- raid1 October 2020 - 3:50 pm
- Outcry1 October 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Power play1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- facts1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- Listen Up1 October 2020 - 1:57 pm
- New Directives1 October 2020 - 4:18 pm
- destroyed1 October 2020 - 1:39 pm
- god's plan1 October 2020 - 12:37 pm
- making a living1 October 2020 - 12:27 pm
- Nerve-wracking1 October 2020 - 12:27 pm