Details have emerged about why Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho missed a party organised by the county government to usher in the New Year.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Mombasa County Director of Communications Richard Chacha explained that the governor was held up elsewhere and could not join hundreds of revellers who had turned up.
Chacha explained that the county boss had a separate engagement in the county that ran parallel to the New Year's event.
"He [Governor Joho] was attending a leaders meeting that he was not able to finish in good time. He was represented by his deputy [William Kingi]. The meeting was held in Mombasa," he explained.
The lavish party, which was dubbed "Governor's Fireworks" was attended by Mvita MP Abdulswamad Nassir and was headlined by top East African entertainers including Tanzania artists Ommy Dimpoz and Mbosso as well as Susumila from Kenya.
Joho would later thank residents for turning up in huge numbers at the event in an appreciation message on social media.
"I would like to wish you all a happy, prosperous and blessed New Year 2020. To Mombasa residents, asanteni sana (thanks a lot) for turning out in large numbers at the New Kibarani Recreational Park to usher in the new year.
"I urge each one of us to put our best foot forward in order to develop County 001 and the entire country," he shared.
There were fireworks at the event as well as in other parts of the country but a majority of Kenyans noted that 2019 was a tougher year economically than 2019.
In Nairobi, there was a spectacular fireworks display at the UAP-Old Mutual Building in Upperhill but, curiously, no display was seen at the iconic Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) as has been the norm.
Below are more photos from the event:
- Imageirate22 February 2020 - 8:50 pm
- ImageStay Away!22 February 2020 - 8:40 pm
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm