Deputy President William Ruto faces a new hurdle in his bid for the presidency, as a governor from the Mt Kenya region threw his hat into the ring.
Murang'a Governor Mwangi wa Iria on Monday, January 13, while issuing bursary cheques of over Ksh20 million to over 1,000 students who were joining Form One, declared his interest for the highest seat on the land.
According to a report by Daily Nation, the governor stated that serving as a governor since 2013 had given him the experience needed to become the country's next president.
He stated that his major focus when he vies to be president will be reviving the Agriculture sector as he has done for his county.
"I'm ripe to be Kenya's fifth president. I'm ripe and mature to become one. Let those counting those who will be seeking the presidency to include my name. I’m one of them and I will criss-cross the country in search of votes," the governor announced.
The Jubilee governor stated that he would be seeking to occupy the house on the hill using his Civic Renewal Party (CRP), which he stated would also field candidates in all other positions.
The governor claimed that his party had over 400,000 registered members across the country.
"People have been asking where I will go after my term expires. I'm not going anywhere. I will be using my party, CRP, to seek the presidency and the party will also field candidates for positions of MCA, MP, governor, senator and woman representative," he said.
This announcement is set to rattle things in the Jubilee Party as Deputy President William Ruto is also eyeing the top seat.
Ruto has been facing several hiccups in his bid for the presidency with people within his political party opposing his presidential ambitions.
- ImageBright Side1 April 2020 - 12:01 pm
- Imagesad1 April 2020 - 12:22 pm
- ImageHeartwarming1 April 2020 - 11:39 am
- ImageWhere are they?1 April 2020 - 11:21 am
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am