Three people were on the evening of Tuesday, January 21, killed following a head-on collision between a police car and a motorcycle along the Meru-Mikinduri Road in Meru County.
A Daily Nation report indicated that the motorcycle had three occupants, Meshack Kirea, 26, Lewis Kinyua, 28, and Douglas Kaburia who were travelling to Meru Town from Kirima Gitune area when the accident occurred.
Confirming the incident, Imenti North police boss Robinson Mboloi stated that the motorcycle joined the road abruptly leading to the crash.
The police car was a Toyota Landcruiser and belonged to Makutano Police Station in Tharaka-Nithi.
Kirea, the motorcycle rider, died on the spot while the other two passed away while receiving treatment at Meru Level Five Hospital.
Speaking to the publication, Japhet Kinyua, a chairman of a local market, however, pointed fingers towards the police vehicle claiming that it was speeding while on the wrong lane.
“We blame the police officer for the accident, the public wanted to set the vehicle on fire but I pleaded with the angry mob not to take the law in their hands.
"We took the injured to the hospital using the same vehicle,” stated Kinyua.
The country has, in the past one year, experienced numerous accidents involving police vehicles.
In September 2019, A police vehicle rammed into a trailer along the Bungoma-Malaba Road at Ikapolok area in Busia County.
The trailer was heading to Uganda while the police car was being driven from Malaba heading towards Amagoro at the time of the accident.
A police report revealed that due to the impact of an accident both the drivers succumbed to injuries on the spot.
In October 2019, Radio presenter and Comedian Felix Odiwuor, alias Jalang'o's car, a convertible Mercedes Benz, bumped into the rear of a vehicle belonging to Administration Police (AP) officers.
The funnyman, however, escaped unhurt during the 6 p.m. incident.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm