A Kenya Mpya bus was on Wednesday, January 22, involved in a grisly road accident in Juja, Kiambu County.
The bus popular with commuters on the Thika-Nairobi route rammed headfirst into a Canter lorry transporting bricks.
Twenty-one passengers were rushed to Thika Level 5 Hospital having sustained serious injuries with no deaths reported by the time of publication.
Eye-witness reports indicated that the bus driver was attempting to avoid the fast-approaching lorry but failed due to the service lane road kerb.
The accident took place near Kareme Petrol Station along the Thika Superhighway.
Area residents were the first to respond and helped evacuate injured passengers from the bus before police officers intervened.
With Kenya Mpya buses previously involved in multiple accidents, a section of Kenyans called for the National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) to rein in on the sacco behind the vehicles.
"People from Thika have been complaining about the reckless Kenya Mpya buses but NTSA never takes action against them. I think they are just happy compiling the number of deaths annually on our roads due to such rouge PSV transporters," wrote one user.
"Kenya Mpya buses shouldn't be operating on our roads! They are death traps, we've seen many complaints being lodged. NTSA you need to act now!" another shared.
"It had to be a Kenya Mpya... Even though that section I hear vehicles are allowed to drive in the opposite direction," another user wrote.
In April 2019, a Kenya Mpya bus ran over a woman's leg leaving her badly injured.
The driver was alleged to have been evading traffic police officers when he flew past the woman by the edge of the road, crushing her leg in the process.
In May 2019, a Kenya Mpya bus was involved in yet another accident as it rammed into a Kaka Travelers' bus causing it to flip at Muthaiga, Nairobi.
Former Kiambu County Governor William Kabogo threatened in 2015 to ban the buses from operating in Thika and its environs due to the number of accidents they were involved in.
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm
- Imagethe architect22 February 2020 - 1:01 pm
- ImagePower play22 February 2020 - 11:21 am