Commuters along the busy Waiyaki Way in Nairobi have been advised to take caution after a wall collapsed along Redhill Link Road on the morning of Monday, January 27.
According to photos shared online, one of the lanes totally closed off by the debris from the collapsed wall at Redhill Link Road at the ABC Bypass.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Kenya Highways Authority (Kenha) communications director Njogu Charles confirmed that there were no casualties in the early morning incident.
Njogu further pointed out that the authority had ordered the contractor tasked with constructing the road to rebuild the fallen wall.
"We have ordered the contractor to clear the rubble within 30 minutes and traffic should flow well by then. He is also expected to rebuild the wall at no extra cost," stated the director.
After a close analysis of the damaged section, Njogu pointed out that the stretch was not under the management of Kenha but of the Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura).
"We have sent our engineer to the scene but the road is not under Kenha, it is under Kura. We had earlier thought that it was attached to James Gichuru Road," he later clarified.
A representative from Kura disclosed that the collapse was caused by a leaking water pipe attached to the barracks that slowly weakened the wall.
"We summoned the contact and the water service provider's engineer to the site and hope to clear the road in an hours time.
"The collapse was caused by a leaking water pipe, which was attached to the army barracks that had weakened the wall," clarified the John Cheboi, chief corporate communications of Kura.
- ImageBright Side1 April 2020 - 12:01 pm
- Imagesad1 April 2020 - 12:22 pm
- ImageHeartwarming1 April 2020 - 11:39 am
- ImageWhere are they?1 April 2020 - 11:21 am
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am