A police officer attached to Giaki Police Station in Meru County was on Tuesday, January 28, filmed by residents in a drunken state while on duty.
Constable James Muthaura is said to have been attached to Meru Law courts but left the workplace at around noon.
Hours later, he was found intoxicated as seen in a viral video that has been making rounds on social media.
The officer has since been asked to respond to the matter in writing, expressing why action should not be taken against him.
"You drunk intoxicating liquor while in police uniform, therefore, you are required to respond to this matter in writing, explaining why disciplinary action should not be taken against you for committing an offence. Taking intoxicating liquor or psychotropic substance or drugs in uniform when actively engaged in a public place contrary to Section 88 Cap 2 as read with the Eighth Schedule One of the Police Service Act No 11A of 2011," a demand letter from the station read.
On January 17, 2020, President Uhuru Kenyatta warned rogue officers while delivering a speech on security matters in the country.
The president directed Interior CS Fred Matiang'i to ensure that incompetent police officers or those who failed in their duties were not transferred to other stations as has been the case.
Instead, Uhuru directed that such officers be immediately dismissed.
In addition, he stated that government officers who failed to work within the new multi-agency structure would be dealt with.
"Those who shall continue to insist on silo mentality and resist working in a coordinated way within the multi-agency structure should be reported," he asserted.
At the same time, the president asked the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) chairperson Lyn Mengich to reward police officers who were in the field combating terrorism.
"The Public Service Commission, SRC and the National Police Service Commission should structure a way to reward good and effective performance by officers serving within our the public sector," he stated.
Below is the video;
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm