The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has reined in on two prison officers following the death of a prisoner under their custody at Naivasha Maximum Prison.
In a statement published on Twitter on Wednesday, January 29, the DCI announced that it had arrested two officers after investigations found them culpable in the murder of the prisoner identified as Simon Nduro Gitahi.
"Following completion of an inquest into the death of an inmate, namely Simon Nduro Gitahi in Naivasha, DCI detectives in the lakeside town have arrested two prison officers, namely Sergeant Dennis Wandati Masibo and Constable Obadiah Meriti Lansika alias Masai both from Naivasha Maximum Security Prison," the DCI announced.
The suspects were taken under lawful custody pending arraignment on charges of murder of the convict contrary to Section 203 of the Penal Code Cap 63 (Laws of Kenya).
Reports indicate that Nduro died in June 2019 at the maximum prison, where he was serving a life sentence.
He is reported to have met his death at the hands of the two prison warders who allegedly beat him up for not queuing properly, before locking him up in an isolation cell where he later died.
After the prisoner's death, the authorities reported that he had succumbed from a severe asthmatic attack, a matter that Gitahi's father vehemently challenged.
“My son’s body has visible bruises on the ribs, legs and with several open wounds,” he told the Daily Nation in June 2019.
The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) launched investigations on the case immediately after information about Gitahi's gruesome death surfaced.
His death also attracted the interest of many lobby groups, most notably the Kenya National Commission of Human Rights (KNHCR) which demanded justice to be served.
The Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU) also weighed in with a statement on June 18, 2019, and asked the police to speed up the probe and bring the officers to book.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm