The Director of Public Prosecutions(DPP) Noordin Haji on Wednesday, January 29, revealed that his office was in the process of filing for a revision of the bail ruling for Embakasi East MP Paul Ongili alias Babu Owino that was issued on Monday, January 27.
In a report published by K24 TV, the DPP indicated his disappointment in how the case was handled arguing that the decision reached was in total disregard of the constitution.
“We are going for revision against the ruling given at the Milimani High Courts. We have unanimously agreed as an office about this.
“We will also be speaking to the Judicial Service Commission on this gross irregularity. I cannot fathom this. I have never heard such a ruling before,” remarked Haji.
The DPP also termed the orders given by Milimani Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi, who lost his wife on Wednesday, as misleading and non-executable in the search for justice.
“After the money has been deposited with the courts, how will we even access the money to pay the hospital bill for the victim?
“I don't think that this should be a precedent but rather an anomaly. We will make sure it is corrected,” added Haji.
On Monday, January 27, Babu was released on a Ksh10 million cash bail to be paid in four installments of Ksh2.5 million.
In the ruling, Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi indicated that the money would be used to settle the medical bill of the victim, DJ Evolve, who was shot in the neck in the popular B-club in Nairobi's Kilimani area.
The parliamentarian was further ordered to deposit two sureties of a similar amount and his passport to the courts.
The chief magistrate also ordered Babu not to drink or have any intoxicant in a public place until the case gets to a closure.
The directive emanated from his second charge of carrying a firearm while drunk and acting in a disorderly manner while in public.
On January 20, Babu was remanded by Andayi after denying the charges. The chief magistrate also ordered that Babu be moved from Gigiri Police Station where he was being held to the Industrial Area Prison for seven days.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm