Former Kwese Free TV Kenya general manager, Monicah Waceke Ndung'u, has been appointed as the new managing director, (broadcast division) at the Nation Media Group (NMG).
As head of broadcasting, Ndung'u will be in charge of the operations at NTV and Nation FM.
She replaces Alex Kobia who joined the company in March 2018 from Al Jazeera where he was the head of sales and distribution.
A highly-placed source at NMG who spoke to Kenyans.co.ke on Monday, February 3, confirmed receipt of a memo notifying employees of Ndungu's appointment.
"Yeah, we saw the memo from HR (Human Resources Department). She's coming from Kwese," the source disclosed.
Ndung'u is as accomplished as they come, having occupied several senior positions within the media industry.
Between 2006 and 2008, Ndung'u was the programs manager at the Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC).
In 2008, she came back home and was appointed television programs manager at the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC).
Ndung'u then joined the Free-to-Air (FTA) sports channel Kwese Free Africa TV in July 2016, taking on several high-profile projects.
Ndung'u also took on a part-time role as a lecturer at Daystar University, focusing on teaching communication strategy and broadcast programming.
At Kwese, Ndung'u played a key role in putting together a partnership between Kwese and NTV that saw NTV broadcast matches from the FIFA World Cup held in Russia in 2018.
It was the first time a private media house was able to acquire rights to broadcast the football showpiece in Kenya with the tournament traditionally aired by state broadcaster KBC.
Ndung'u has a Masters Degree in Communication Policy from the University of Westminster and a Bachelors' degree in Electronic Media from Daystar University.
- Power play26 September 2020 - 7:36 am
- declined26 September 2020 - 7:23 am
- double standards25 September 2020 - 7:58 pm
- unfortunate25 September 2020 - 7:30 pm
- please consider25 September 2020 - 7:03 pm
- heckled25 September 2020 - 6:31 pm
- Terrified25 September 2020 - 6:14 pm
- sad!25 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Chaos25 September 2020 - 4:35 pm
- fire25 September 2020 - 4:06 pm
- Uproar25 September 2020 - 3:40 pm
- new directive25 September 2020 - 2:14 pm