- Daily Nation
At least 7 people were left injured after a 14-seater matatu crashed into an Equity Bank building in Chuka, Tharaka-Nithi County on Sunday, February 23.
According to the eyewitness reports, the vehicle rammed into three other cars before crashing to a halt in the bank.
Most of the passengers were students heading back to school after the mid-term holidays, with two of them rushed for emergency treatment at the Chuka County Referral Hospital.The matatu that rammed into Equity Bank, Chuka, is towed away from the scene of the accident on Feb 23, 2020.Daily Nation
The two were reportedly seated next to the driver when the tragic incident occurred.
Meru South Sub-County Police Commander Joseph Kavoo, confirmed the incident, going on to disclose that all the injured parties were currently receiving treatment at the county's referral hospital.
“The seven injured passengers were in a public transport vehicle that hit some other vehicles before ramming into the main gate of Equity Bank,” the police boss stated.
Witnesses claimed that the Mekian Sacco van seemed to jerk violently the moment the driver tried to make his way out of the Chuka Town bus park.
“I think the vehicle had a problem because immediately the engine was fired, the vehicle took off at high speed, hitting other vehicles and ploughing into the bank building," a trader, James Mutegi narrated.
The police made their way to the scene of the accident as quickly as possible to avoid the escalation of the situation into a robbery by individuals looking to take advantage of the bizarre bank accident.
Kavoo announced that they had launched formal investigations regarding the accident.
- ImageTragic30 March 2020 - 8:52 pm
- Imagetrue or false?30 March 2020 - 7:59 pm
- Imagerestrain30 March 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageoblivious30 March 2020 - 7:27 pm
- Imagegoodies30 March 2020 - 7:29 pm
- Imagetimely30 March 2020 - 6:46 pm
- Imagehistoric30 March 2020 - 5:37 pm
- Imageout of stock?30 March 2020 - 5:00 pm
- Imagefed-up30 March 2020 - 4:25 pm
- ImageRed-line30 March 2020 - 4:32 pm
- ImageSurge30 March 2020 - 3:21 pm
- Imagethe law won30 March 2020 - 4:11 pm