Residents of Kitale Town will not be allowed to continue with their day-to-day activities after a what resembles a lockdown was imposed on Thursday, March 26.
Trans Nzoia County Commissioner Samson Ojwang' in a press conference gave a three-hour ultimatum for all residents to vacate the town.
"We have agreed that in the next three hours, we are asking our people to begin vacating Kitale Town because the congestion in the town is aiding in the spread of coronavirus," Ojwang' announced.An aerial view of Kitale town
"Anybody in Kitale town should start vacating and stay home. Be it businessmen or people walking around, we announce that in the next three hours, everybody should be home," he reiterated.
In addition, Ojwang' stated that the county was taking strict measures to avoid the spread of Covid-19, adding that residents would also not be allowed in the town on Friday, March 27.
He added that the Coronavirus emergency team was organising how business would be conducted after Thursday.
This came a day after a pastor in Kitale was put under forced quarantine, having traveled from the United States.
According to The Standard, the pastor is said to have arrived from the US through South Africa but did not self-quarantine.
Further, he is said to have conducted a church service at the Light in the Hill church
Trans Nzoia West Deputy County Commissioner Khalifa Abdulahi led the security team in tracking down the pastor after a tip-off.
The pastor was then forced to quarantine at the Mt Elgon isolation facility while at the same time four of his family members were also subjected to quarantine.
- phased reopening28 September 2020 - 7:23 pm
- New Guidelines28 September 2020 - 6:07 pm
- All in28 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- in hindsight28 September 2020 - 6:17 pm
- updates28 September 2020 - 5:03 pm
- M.I.A28 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Nerve-wracking28 September 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Behind Bars28 September 2020 - 2:51 pm
- living large28 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Reprieve28 September 2020 - 1:48 pm
- New Captain28 September 2020 - 1:50 pm
- make room28 September 2020 - 12:45 pm