- Daily Nation
Tragedy struck the quiet village of Mutitu Village in Ndaragwa Constituency, Nyandarau County after a fire razed down a home on Tuesday, April 9.
Three children who were in the house burnt to death as the fire ravaged their home.
Gideon Ngumi, the Nyandarua Police Commander speaking to Kenyans provided that the children were in the house alone when the fire started.An armed Kenya police officer steps out of a police car.File
"Their mother had locked them in as she went about her business," clarified Ngumi.
It was during this period that the children were thought to have been playing when they inadvertently set the house ablaze.
"Now because they are young kids, they must have started playing with matches which is how the fire began," Ngumi stated.
The fire was finally arrested by neighbours who caught sight of the flames and came to offer their assistance.
"The neighbours saw the flames and came to assist but the fire had already spread significantly," explained Ngumi.
The three children who died in the flames were all minors, with the police boss placing their ages at below 12 years.
The police are ruling out the cause of the fire as deliberate and will not be proffering charges against the grieving mother.A man shows his sewing machines which were destroyed in a fire at the Mandera miraa market on January 8, 2019.Daily Nation
"It's not arson, it's an accident: it is just how children are," stated the police commander.
The penalty for arson under the laws of Kenya is life imprisonment.
One is found guilty of the offence if they willingly and unlawfully set fire to a building, a vessel, cultivated vegetable produce, or a mine.
- forgive me22 January 2021 - 12:25 pm
- final flight22 January 2021 - 11:18 am
- Clarified22 January 2021 - 11:28 am
- swift action22 January 2021 - 10:38 am
- Afro Cinema!22 January 2021 - 9:46 am
- uproar22 January 2021 - 9:30 am
- arrested22 January 2021 - 9:02 am
- Developments22 January 2021 - 8:18 am
- sad22 January 2021 - 7:46 am
- Watch Out22 January 2021 - 7:15 am
- revealed21 January 2021 - 7:56 pm
- healthy eating21 January 2021 - 7:32 pm