Teary KTN Journalist Undergoes Covid-19 Test on Live TV [VIDEO]

  • A journalist seated at a KTN News studio along Mombasa Road.
    A journalist seated at a KTN News studio along Mombasa Road.
  • A KTN News journalist, in pursuit of enlightening viewers, decided to take a Covid-19 test with the full glare of cameras.

    The journalist, Dr Mercy Korir, disclosed that she took enough time to prepare herself for the test with full knowledge of the outcome of her decision knowing that if she tested positive, she would never step back at her home for 14 days and go directly into quarantine.

    She further noted that she packed her travel bags properly before proceeding to Lancet laboratories in Nairobi for the all-important test.

    "The test could go either way, it could be positive or negative. I am hoping that it is negative because I will be able to go home.

    Dr Mercy Korir, a health journalist attached to KTN News Kenya
    Dr Mercy Korir, a health journalist attached to KTN News Kenya

    "In my discussion with (the doctor), he told me that if I test positive, the matter has to be reported to the government immediately and I cannot go back home. I have to go to isolation. So I came prepared," stated Korir.

    "The one that was really hard to prepare for was psychological. It took a lot for me to psychologically prepare to come and have this test. We've seen there is a swab up the nose and many have said it is not comfortable," she added.

    A few minutes later, Korir takes the chair and the two medical doctors take over her testing process and start by explaining the equipment to be used.

    The doctors capture personal information such as the Identification Number and residential details so that in case she turned positive, the follow-up process is made easier.

    The doctor administering the test had a swab stick and the other doctor explained that the stick is "pushed down the nose, as far back as possible. The reason for the back of the throat and back of the nose is because that is where the virus multiplies."

    After the test, Korir is seen tearing up and she explained that it was because of the irritation associated with the process and nothing to do with pain.

    "It is not painful, it is uncomfortable. It is not a nice feeling. It is not an experience I want to go through again," she stated shortly after the first test was done.

    After the test, Korir was informed that she would receive her results after 3 hours. If negative, she would be informed via email but if positive, the doctor may have to call her.

    A total of 11,909 people have been tested, 262 of whom have tested positive for the virus.