Drama ensued in Kitui on Monday, June 29, after Governor Charity Ngilu's lawyers were forcefully ejected from the County Assembly of Kitui.
The lawyers who included Martin Oloo and Morris Kimuli were thrown out of the assembly by a security team who locked them out.
The Lawyers claimed they wanted to represent the Governor who had been summoned to appear before the assembly on Monday.Kitui governor Charity Ngilu during the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) meeting in Mombasa on January 25, 2020.
This came after Governor Ngilu obtained court orders on Thursday, June 25, at the Milimani High Court temporarily barred the MCAs from debating her impeachment.
There was a reprieve for Ngilu however as the MCAs abandoned the impeachment debate and instead tabled the 2020-2021 budget on Monday afternoon.
Ngilu's impeachment motion was set to be tabled on Monday, June 29, on grounds of violating the Constitution, the County Government Act, conflict of interest and abuse of office.
In her defence, Ngilu noted she was not accorded a fair hearing by the assembly before the MCAs decided to impeach her.
Ngilu also sought to tell the court that there was no public participation in her impeachment plan which was signed by 40 MCAs out of 54.
Kitui County Majority Leader Peter Kilonzo however on Sunday, June 28 vowed to continue with the impeachment plan once they are done with the court case.
"It has not been stopped as it is being alleged on social media, what has happened is that there is a delay and there will be an interparty hearing which will be held on 6th July.
"I urge our members, supporters and people of Kitui to come to cool and wait," explained the Majority Leader.
- Final Decision20 September 2020 - 7:12 am
- generosity19 September 2020 - 8:10 pm
- nabbed19 September 2020 - 7:57 pm
- alternative transport19 September 2020 - 7:20 pm
- not cool19 September 2020 - 6:16 pm
- our bad19 September 2020 - 5:55 pm
- high profile19 September 2020 - 5:23 pm
- on blast19 September 2020 - 4:55 pm
- Partners19 September 2020 - 4:34 pm
- Dangerous19 September 2020 - 4:00 pm
- latest report19 September 2020 - 3:10 pm
- finally19 September 2020 - 3:05 pm